- I love living in Cornwall, but there is a big problem with it – it is soooo far away from the rest of the country! So I would move it a little closer to the rest of the country!
- Lands End. If you follow my blog you will know that there is no love lost here, the management team have ruined my joy at Lands End, so I might chip that bit off! Parking and attractions are over-priced and, if they don’t care about all people I have no interest going there.
- The weather. Every year I seem to reach mid-September and I am still wondering when summer is coming.
- I would make the beaches could be more accessible to wheelchair users. We are surrounded by beautiful beaches that we cannot access. Some do have beach wheelchairs available to hire, but that does not help those people who cannot self-transfer.
- And finally, you surely knew this one was coming 😉 I would make Cornwall the best place ever in terms of having accessible Changing Places toilets. Tourism is important to Cornwall and we could do so much more to welcome disabled visitors. Get the facilities right and those “disabled visitors” can simply be “visitors”.
I realise that I can’t do much about the first three things on the list but there is a lot which could be done about the final two.
For number 5, people in Cornwall are asking their MPs to support a local planning clause so that every time there is a planning application for a big new development in Cornwall, they will be asked why a Changing Places toilet is not included in the plans. The facilities are already recommended in the Building Standards, but sometimes developers just don’t know what they are.
And a Changing Places toilet in every seaside town would solve some of the difficulties which relate to number 4. 😀
But the one thing I would never change about Cornwall is the awesome nature of its people. I am very lucky to live here and would never want to live anywhere else!
The top two pictures in the photo are from The Eden Project (which is constantly striving to improve accessibility and has a Changing Places toilet) and The Lost Gardens of Heligan, which will be opening a Changing Places toilet this month! Do pop along and tell the people at Heligan that they are awesome!